Thursday 12 August 2010

Glamour magazine

Bought the latest issue of Glamour today which is a 'bespoke' special south-west issue, focusing on Bristol. There are 8 issues each featuring a relevant place to which area you buy an issue from (Bristol, Northern Ireland, Manchester, Newcastle, London, Scotland, Birmingham and Cymru), with Katy Perry on the cover modelling a tshirt of the relevant place. I think this is a really good idea as it's like a 2-in-1 tourist guide and fashion magazine, and I'm going to Bristol in a couple of weeks so the vouchers will be ideal!
check it out here

Looking through the masses of adverts, I find that Vivienne Westwood's Accesories ad causes me to stop and look at it a while longer than the rest of them. Shot by Juergen Teller, the image appears to have a similar effect to using the flash on a digital camera - blown-out lighting, with the 'make-up' similar to halloween face-paint, and messy hair. I find this campaign so effective as instead of portraying a flawless subject who I can hopelessly aspire to be like, it catches my eye by how different it is to the other adverts. Would love to see more designers using quirky imagery in their advertising campaigns.
This isn't the same image I saw but has a similar effect:

No comments:

Post a Comment