Sunday 4 September 2011

twinkle twinkle

I'm getting really into nail art now, and after seeing galaxy nails on Lily Melrose's blog, I decided to give them a try. I used eight nail polishes (sounds ridiculous but you really need to layer them to create this look), the only ones I can tell you are Barry M 47 Black, Barry M 296 Coral and Rimmel 60 Seconds 805 Grey Matter as the other five I used are old cheap nail polishes from when I was about 10 years old. I created this look by first applying two coats of black nail varnish. To create the nebula, I used an old eyeshadow applicator sponge to dab on some coral polish diagonally across my nails, fading the line out at the sides. I used a yellow-gold polish with glitter particles to highlight the nebula, applying it in the middle of the coral. I found that doing this before the coral dried made it easy to blend. I then used a bright blue glitter polish close to the coral and gold. I used a cocktail stick to dot grey and white varnish onto the black for the stars. Finally I used an iridescent blue/green glitter and silver glitter over the whole nail to add star sparkle. The silver glitter polish I used contained fairly big particles of glitter in a clear varnish. If you use a polish which has loads of glitter in it or has tiny pieces of glitter then the design underneath may get hidden.
I'm really pleased with these considering it was my first time creating galaxy nails, they do take a while (about half an hour) so don't do them if you're in a rush! They gave me some use for my old glittery nail polishes I thought I'd never use again and also tie in to the star trend for this Autumn/Winter. Maybe I'll translate the trend more literally next time and try star print.



No comments:

Post a Comment